¼ cup (4 tbsp) butter, softened
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground nutmeg, to taste*
¼ tsp ginger
¼ tsp cinnamon
¾ teaspoon salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup milk, infused with Apple Cider Chai black tea
Infusing the milk with Apple Cider Chai:
1 ½ cups milk
6 tsp Apple Cider Chai black tea
In a small saucepan, heat up the milk while stirring occasionally. Just before the milk begins to bubble, remove from heat and add the loose tea. Let infuse for 20 minutes, then strain the milk. Some of the milk will be absorbed by the tea leaves, and you should be left with a little over 1 cup infused milk.
Makes 12 doughnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F and grease two doughnut pans.
2. On medium speed, beat together butter, vegetable oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar.
3. Beat in eggs until smooth.
4. Gradually blend in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla.
5. Add in your flour and tea-infused milk, alternating between flour and milk. When adding the two, begin and end with the flour. Mix until completely combined.
6. Time to spoon out the batter! Add it to your doughnut pans, filling each doughnut well until it is about ¾ full.
7. Bake the doughnuts for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Take them out of the oven and let sit 7-10 minutes before turning over the doughnut pans and removing them to a cooling rack. Cool completely before glazing.
1 cup apple cider (I used Zeigler’s Apple Cider)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp cinnamonIn a small saucepan, heat up the apple cider. Simmer the cider until it reduces down to ¼ cup. Remove from heat and add to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add in confectioners sugar until your glaze is smooth and the consistency of maple syrup. In a shallow bowl, mix together the granulated sugar and cinnamon. Dip a doughnut first in the glaze, covering it in a thin layer. Allow excess glaze to drip off, then gently roll the doughnut in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Shake to remove any excess cinnamon sugar. Repeat this process for the rest of the doughnuts. Plate the doughnuts and brew up a cup of your favorite tea to enjoy with them.
Recommended viewing: A Gilmore Girls marathon on Netflix. Stars Hollow pairs beautifully with Apple Cider Chai Doughnuts. More of a movie person? When Harry Met Sally is not just a perfect film, it is a perfect fall film. Enjoy!